This post was originally published on this siteBarr, who argued the DOJ should appeal the decision, said a special master appointment would not impact the outcome of the investigation.
This post was originally published on this siteThe judge said the government cannot continue reviewing the materials seized by the FBI at Mar-a-Lago or use them in its criminal investigation until the special master concludes an assessment.
January 6th Committee members this week began teasing sneak peeks into what the public can expect when the House panel reboots its televised hearings on the attack on the U.S. Capitol. There’s still no exact date for the next hearing, but Committee member Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), said she expects...
This post was originally published on this site The Jan. 6 investigatory panel is seeking information from Newt Gingrich about his communications with senior advisers to then-President Trump in the days leading up to the 2021 attack on the Capitol. (Image credit: Andrew Harnik/AP)
This post was originally published on this siteAfter an explosive court brief and picture of classified documents from Mar-a-Lago earlier this week, the Justice Department will argue in court Thursday against a request by former President Donald Trump that a so-called special master be appointed in to review the evidence...
A new DOJ filing reveals that Donald Trump held onto more than twice as many classified documents as those his lawyers had turned over in June, and that the documents were likely concealed or mishandled in compromising ways in the former President’s residence. The search warrant and other DOJ filings...
Justice Department says Trump’s request for special master would impede investigation; evidence of obstruction found
This post was originally published on this siteProsecutors also refuted claims that former President Donald Trump cooperated with authorities months leading to the unprecedented Aug. 8 search.
This post was originally published on this site A Georgia prosecutor offered a preview of where her investigation of former President Donald Trump is headed. Fulton County district attorney Fani Willis gave an update of the special grand jury investigation into Trump’s efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss, saying...
Secret Service Deputy Director Tony Ornato, a key figure in the House Jan. 6 Committee investigation, retired Monday “to pursue a career in the private sector” after “25 years of faithful service to my country,” he said in a statement. In an unusual move, Ornato took a position as deputy White House chief of staff for operations — a political role — during the last two years of former President Donald Trump’s presidency, then returned to the Secret Service last year. Before joining the White House he was head of Trump’s protective detail.
Ornato gained national attention when former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson recounted in public testimony that Ornato told her Trump had tried to force his Secret Service detail to drive him to the Capitol during the Jan. 6, 2021, siege by Trump supporters. “Although Ornato quickly signaled he was willing to testify in response to Hutchinson’s account, he has yet to appear for a new interview with the select committee,” Politico reports, citing two people familiar with the discussions. He testified before the committee twice earlier, in January and March.
The Secret Service is also embroiled in controversy over deleted text messages from dozens of officials’ phones on and around Jan. 6, and Ornato retired just two days before a scheduled meeting with Homeland Security Department investigators who “had been attempting to interview Ornato since June 29 and spent all of July and much of August following up,” The Intercept reports. “Ornato has indicated that he still intends to attend the interview,” but since he “will be a private citizen, investigators won’t have testimonial subpoena authority to compel his cooperation.”
“The timing is suspect and certainly interesting,” Olivia Troye, a national security aide to former Vice President Mike Pence, told CNN, adding that she is “very curious to see where his future employment will be.”
Ornato said in his statement hat he “long-planned to retire and have been planning this transition for more than a year.” He became eligible for retirement in July, a Secret Service spokesman said, and he is leaving as an agent in good standing. Secret Service director James Murray has also announced his retirement, but he temporarily put the departure on hold amid the various Jan. 6 controversies. President Biden has named Kimberly Cheatle the next director.
This post was originally published on this site‘Defund the FBI’ slogans have created a new line of attack for President Biden and Democrats ahead of the midterm elections.